iCan Bike teaches children with intellectual and developmental disabilities to independently ride a 2 wheel bicycle in just one week's time. Riders must attend one 75 minute sessioneach day of the camp M-F. Training bikes used at the beginning of the program are provided. Riders must bring in their own personal 2 wheel bike by mid-week and must provide their own bike helmet. Program cost is $150 per rider. Registration opens on March 15th. The camp will be held July 23rd - 27th, 2018. Parents must attend a pre-camp meeting on Sunday July 22nd. Riders must meet certain criteria, please visit our website for more details.
iCan Bike uses adapted bicycles, a specialized instructional program, and trained staff to enable individuals with disabilities to learn to ride a two wheel bicycle. Riders attend one 75 minute session each day for five consecutive days where they learn to ride while accompanied and encouraged by volunteer spotters. Over the course of the week, the bikes are continually adjusted in an effort to challenge riders balance as they gradually discover the skill and joy of riding.
The goal of iCan Bike is to teach individuals with disabilities to ride a two wheel bicycle and become lifelong independent riders. This achievement, in turn, creates a gateway of opportunity, helping each rider gain assurance and self-reliance in many other aspects of their lives. Parents, teachers and therapists describe the results as miraculous. Many of the riders have tried for years to learn to ride a bicycle without success. In just one week of the iCan Bike camp, about 80% of the riders will learn to independently ride a two wheel bike. The remaining 20% make tremendous strides toward that goal. Success in learning to ride a bicycle is a major milestone in anyone’s life. When learning has become a struggle, the accomplishment and its impact can be much greater. We observe that learning to ride a bicycle infuses riders with confidence and an improved self-image that has a positive ripple effect into many other aspects of their lives.
Activities & Features
Other Activities bike riding
Location & Contact Information
Camp Address Conard High School
110 Beechwood Rd West Hartford, CT, 06107 United States
860 769-7055 (tel.)
Winter Address The Miracle League of CT
47 Upson St. Bristol, CT, 06010 United States
860 769-7055 (tel.)