Skill building is embedded within all our curricula and activities. Each Core is led by experienced Quad Psycho Social Teachers and Special Educators. Additionally, a robust Internship brings the brightest college upper classmen from across the country to assist in our classrooms, supervised by our Directors and Core Staff. The resulting small 3:1 ratio allows for individualization and differentiation for both gifts and challenges.
In morning and afternoon Core, children work on life skills, collaborative problem solving and friendship building. Core Teachers and Interns accompany children through their centers and clubs. With Core Mates and Core Teachers, children also go on field trips, eat lunch and share outdoor play in Lower Manhattan's beautiful parks and river promenades.
The Core Summer Curriculum has 3 components:
specific skill building during morning and afternoon Core periods
targeted carry-over and practice during all activities and classes
close parent communication to aid generalization of skills at home
Specific Skill Development Frameworks that inform our practice include:
1. "Think Social" social skills curriculum developed by Michele Garcia Winner %E2%80%93 explicitly teaches norms of social thinking and interaction.
2. A "TCIT" approach for structured, consistent classrooms and positive behavioral reinforcement
2. Collaborative Problem Solving framework for conflict resolution
3. Support of Executive Functioning (attention, planning, time management, and self regulation) based on the work a Developmental Psychologist, Lev Vygotsky (in collaboration with Tools of the Mind Curriculum).
4. A Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) approach to facing and conquering fear and avoidance and learning to manage anxiety.
5. Continual training, supervision and professional development for all staff and interns in evidence-based, best practices built into every camp day.
In Quad's Literacy Centers, children work together on a series of themes and projects, customized to the interests and strengths of our kids. This project-based curriculum "hides" explicit math, reading and writing skills in fun, developmentally- appropriate projects like Quad Advertising Agency, Historical Time Travel, Magazine Publishing and Film Critics Club.
Throughout each day, kids participate in Specials that nurture the "whole child". Works and projects are chosen according to our kids strengths and passions in the areas of
Improv and Theatre, Animation, Film, Capoeira, Music, Art, Photography and TECH.
Trips and Traditions
Friday is our day for trips chosen based on the interests and projects of each Core. Friday afternoons are for sharing works and winding down the week. Funky Fridays bookend our summer and will feature the return of the well loved Quad Carnival and Color Olympics.
Save the Date! Our annual Summer Celebration, help on the last day of camp, lets our entire Summer Community share their experiences with families and friends. This joyful celebration will showcase the works and projects created by our kids all summer.